close

LT3001 Patent Granted in JP and MX

 Lumosa Therapeutics (Lumosa; code:6535.TWO), a new drug development company in Taiwan, announces that the compound patent of its LT3001, a new drug currently under development for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke (AIS), has been granted by the Japan Patent Office and Mexican Institute of Industrial Property. These are additional patents issued in major markets after the issuance of the United States and China patents. Lumosa’s LT3001 compound patent has been granted in 8 countries so far, including China, the US, Australia, Russia, Taiwan, Indonesia, Japan and Mexico. A total of ten patent applications in other jurisdictions are under examination. 

LT3001 is a novel small molecule for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke. Animal studies demonstrated that LT3001 possesses multiple functions to restore cerebral blood flow and reduce ischemic/reperfusion injury. The compound patent protects LT3001 molecule and its derivatives until 2034.

According to the WHO, there are approximately 15 million people per year worldwide suffering a stroke. Among which, 80 to 90% are acute ischemic stroke caused by embolisms, while the rest of 10% to 20% sufferers are mostly hemorrhagic strokes. The mortality of a brain stroke is about 30% while another 30% of the patients are left disabled. Stroke causes significant burden to the individual, their family and the society, and drains medical and social resources.

The successful development of LT3001 will provide breakthrough therapy to patients with stroke. Statistics show that if LT3001 can revolutionize current treatment constrains and achieves 50% treatment target of all stroke patients set by the WHO, the market potential of LT3001 may be as high as US$15 billions. 

  • Date May 30, 2019
  • Author Lumosa Therapeutics Co., Ltd.
  • Source Lumosa Therapeutics Co., Ltd.